The best free gifts with life insurance (2018)
We have spent the last week reviewing all the life insurance policies currently available that come with a free gift.
Our findings are below and hopefully, they’ll help you find the best available deals in the UK.
- Which insurer is offering the best welcome gift?
- Can you really get a free iPad with your life insurance policy?
- Who is offering life insurance with the best free gift card?
- Are you entitled to the offer and when can you claim?
- What’s hidden in the ‘small print‘?
Insurers use this incentive to encourage you to buy directly from them. But, is the free gift worth it, or can you secure a better policy deal by using a broker?
Read on to learn about the best life insurance with a free gift offers available, (and why they may not be as appealing as they first appear).
*Please note: our ‘life insurance with free gift’ article was updated 09/10/18.
Legal & General
£75 Amazon.co.uk Gift Card or M&S e-Gift Card
Let’s start with one of the largest insurers in the UK, Legal & General. They’re currently offering new customers a £75 Amazon.co.uk Gift Card or M&S e-Gift Card.
Previously, they were offering up to £150 Amazon or M&S gift cards. The value of this gift card was tiered and dependent on the cost of your monthly premiums – the higher the premium, the larger the gift card.
Now, however, they’re only offering a flat £75 welcome gift to all new customers applying either online or over the phone.
Applications must be made directly through the Legal & General website and the offer is not available to cashback customers.
What’s more, your policy must have been in place for 6 months before being entitled to claim the free gift card. Lastly, the gift card must be redeemed within 12 months of the policy start date.
So, as with the vast majority of free gifts with life insurance offers, the reality rarely lives up to the initial excitement.
Key points with the £75 Legal & General gift card offer:
- You’re entitled to the gift card if you take out life insurance with or without critical illness
- You have to apply online or phone in order to receive the gift card
- Gift cards only offered when applying directly via Legal & General
- You’re only eligible for a gift card 6 months after your policy starts
- These offers are not available to ‘cashback‘ customers
- If you have previously cancelled a Legal & General policy you won’t qualify
- 1 gift card per policy sold, 2 per household, (within a 12 month period)
- No cash alternative offered.
£125 Voucher (M&S, Argos or Next) or Hotel stay for 2
MoneySuperMarket is now offering a £125 voucher to new life insurance customers – (up from £75 as offered in early 2018). You still have the choice of either M&S, Argos or Next vouchers.
You have to purchase the policy either directly through moneysupermarket.com or their selected partner LifeSearch Ltd to be entitled to the vouchers. This is different from most other offers which don’t involve a 3rd party.
In another addition, MoneySuperMarket recently added a hotel stay for 2 option, (instead of the £125 vouchers, not as well as). The hotel offer is obviously subject to availability.
Can you claim the gift straight away?
No. Only after paying your 3rd monthly premium, will you be eligible for either gift. However, you’ll have to wait up to 40 days from your 3rd premium before being asked your choice of voucher.
Then you have to wait up to another 28 days before the gift is actually issued.
Key points with the MoneySuperMarket £125 gift card offer:
- You can only claim 1 voucher per person
- You’re only entitled to a gift after paying your 3rd premium
- You’ll receive an email within 40 days of paying your 3rd premium
- You may have to wait another 28 days become the gift arrives
- Hotel rooms are subject to availability
- Email to ask which voucher you’d like will come from firstname.lastname@example.org, so you may want to add to your safe sender’s list
- No cash alternative offered.
Up to £100 Love2Shop Gift Voucher
Zurich is currently offering new customers up to £100 Love2Shop vouchers for taking out a policy directly through their website.
If you’re not familiar with Love2Shop, their vouchers are accepted at over 150 UK brands, including Virgin, Thomas Cook and Debenhams. For a full list of accepted retailers see here »
So this voucher, although less in monetary terms than Legal & General offers the customer a wide choice of different brands.
Again, the value of your gift voucher depends on how much your monthly premium costs.
In Zurich’s terms, it states, ‘we calculate the value of your vouchers as the combined value of your first six months payments, rounded down to the nearest £5, to a maximum value of £100‘.
For example, if your monthly premium is £9.75, after 6 months you’ll have paid £58.50 in premiums. Therefore, you would be entitled to a £55 Love2Shop voucher.
Key points with Zurich’s £100 Love2Shop offer:
- Love2Shop vouchers are emailed to the policyholder’s address
- You’ll not receive the vouchers until you have paid your 6th monthly premium
- If you have cancelled or missed a payment before the 6th month you’ll not receive a gift
- Once you receive your email you have 28 days to complete the Love2Shop registration
- Once registered, your Love2Shop voucher will be emailed within 14 days
- This offer excludes plans taken out over the telephone, through comparison/cashback sites or 3rd parties
- This offer doesn’t apply to anyone who has taken out a policy (with Zurich) within the last year and cancelled
- No cash alternative offered.
40% off Gym Membership & 50% off Sports Shoes
From our research, most life insurance or over 50s policies offer either a voucher, gift card or who could forget Parky’s Parker pen.
Vitality life insurance, however, likes to offer something a little different. Their previous offer was a choice of 2 different Apple watches.
Now, they’re offering new customers up to 40% off gym membership from either Virgin Active, Nuffield Health or David Lloyd.
A pretty compelling offer right? On first impressions, yes, but as with all these insurer incentives, it’s not that simple.
In order to be eligible, you’ll need to be paying a monthly premium of £30+ for a single policy or £40+ for a joint policy. This level of cover is simply unnecessary for a large proportion of the UK.
All of the gym’s Vitality are in partnership with demand a joining fee too. This joining fee costs between £30 – £75.
But that’s not where their offer ends, they’re also offering 50% off a pair of Sweatshop sports shoes every year.
The admirable message from Vitality is ‘we will reward you for looking after yourself‘.
But as with all the gift offerings, there are controls in place to ensure that they mitigate their financial risk.
Key points with the Vitality 40% off gym membership offer:
- Minimum monthly premiums of £30 (single) and £40 (joint)
- Available with Wellness Optimiser or Vitality Optimiser (£3.80 per month)
- Gym joining fees apply (£30 – £75)
- Offer applies to one pair Sweatshop sports shoes a year
- Offer doesn’t apply to Virgin Active Chiswick Riverside Health & Racquet Club.
Up to £180 Gift Card (Amazon.co.uk, M&S or B&Q)
A really strong headline offer from Direct Line, £180 gift card! The most valuable gift we found during our research.
However, again, securing the free gift is not as straightforward as it first appears. The offer is tiered; the higher your monthly premium, the more valuable the gift card.
Gift card amount is calculated as follows:
- £6 – £10 = £35
- £10.01 – £20.00 = £60
- £20.01 – £30.00 = £120
- £30.01+ = £180.
As with nearly all the insurer incentives, you have to have paid a certain number of premiums before being entitled to the offer. Here it’s 6 months worth of payments.
To be entitled to the top £180 gift card you’ll need to be paying over £30 worth of premiums every month. The reality is that very few of us actually require this level of cover.
This Direct Line offer is limited to 2 per household and new customers only. (In fact, most of the offers we identified were for new customers only – an attempt to onboard you? But, what about existing customers?)
You may or may not be aware that Direct Line life insurance is actually provided by Legal & General. As a result, if you have previously cancelled an L&G policy you’ll not qualify for this offer.
Key points with Direct Line’s £180 gift card offer:
- Limited to 1 gift card per policy and 2 per household
- Allow 30 days from the policy start, for delivery of the redemption email
- Only eligible for the gift after paying 6 months premiums
- If you have previously cancelled a policy from Legal & General, you’ll not qualify of the offer
- Cashback customers are excluded from any Direct Line life insurance promotion
- No cash alternative to the gift card.
Up to £510 cashback
Cashback sites, such as the market leaders TopCashback and Quidco, are very interesting and you could make a saving of £500 or more.
However, in order to achieve this enormous headline saving, you have to be paying a huge monthly premium.
For example, TopCashback is currently offering an ‘exclusive’ deal for Beagle Street claiming £400 cashback. Sounds pretty generous right? Who wouldn’t like to make a £400 saving?
However, when you click through you realise you can only achieve this saving if your monthly premium is £70 or more! Which would exclude the vast majority of policyholders.
After that, the saving decreases on a tiered basis. So, if your monthly premium is £5 or less, then your cashback offer is a more modest £50.
In order to receive the cashback, you’ll have to have made 6 consecutive monthly premium payments.
Once you have reached this stage, your cashback will be processed and you should receive the funds within 2-8 weeks.
Lastly, if you have a premium account with either Topcashback or Quidco there’s an annual £5 fee to factor in, (recouped from your cashback sales).
Key points with the TopCashback & Quidco offers:
- Cashback is only paid by BACS or PayPal
- Cashback rates are subject to change, (both up and down)
- By using cashback, you’re generally not eligible for any other offers from that insurer.
FREE will-writing service worth £150
Beagle Street is offering a free will-writing service to try and incentivise new customers.
You have to be a UK resident in order to receive the will-writing offer. However, unlike other gifts, there is not a minimum number of premiums you have to pay before you can benefit.
The offer is for a free ‘simple‘ will. The definition given by Beagle Street for this type of will is; ‘a Simple will is a will that disposes of the customer’s estate to a maximum of six beneficiaries without the use of trusts or tax planning’.
If you have a joint policy you have the option of a ‘Joint Mirror Will‘. This is described as; ‘a Joint Mirror Will is a joint simple will that disposes of a couple’s estate to the same beneficiaries‘.
It’s important to state that if you require a more complicated will to be written, this will be at an additional cost, (not covered by Beagle Street).
So this perk won’t be for everyone and depending on your circumstances, it may be that it’s better to spend money on something so important.
Key points with the free will-writing Beagle Street offer:
- Beagle Street pass you onto 1 of 3 legal firms, depending on where you live
- This offer is non-transferable; therefore the will must be made by the customer/s
- Each eligible customer will only be entitled to 1 free will.
Over 50 life insurance with free gift
But who is offering the best over 50s gift? Who is entitled to the gift? Are there any pitfalls to be wary of?
Read on to learn all about the best over 50s life insurance with free gift offerings in 2018.
£100 Love2Shop Gift Card
SunLife’s Guaranteed Over 50 Plan is probably the most recognisable policy on the market.
They currently offer both new and existing customers a £100 Love2Shop gift card, the most generous we found. Love2Shop gift cards, as mentioned above, are accepted at over 150 UK brands.
Previously, SunLife had offered a £75 gift card for M&S or Argus, so not only have they increased the value of their gift but also the number of places you can shop.
One thing worth mentioning here is that you’ll not receive the gift card until you’re 4 months into the policy. (You have to pay 3 months premiums and the first month is free).
Unlike most standard life insurance gifts, you’re eligible whether you apply online or over the phone. Perhaps in recognition of the generational differences in customer behaviour?
Strangely though, if you apply by post you’re only entitled to a £75 gift card.
Key points with the £100 SunLife offer:
- You’ll have to pay 3 months premiums and wait 4 months before being eligible
- You’re entitled to the £100 gift card if you apply either online or by phone
- However, if you apply by post you’ll only be entitled to a £75 gift card
- No cash alternative offered.
£75 Gift Card (Amazon, Argos or M&S)
Another popular over 50s plan is offered by insurer Churchill. Although they don’t offer as valuable a gift card as SunLife, £75, you do get more flexibility because they offer an Amazon option. Which opens you up to virtually every feasible online purchase.
In fact, this offer is less generous than their standard life insurance offer where you can get a £120 gift card. However, in order to be eligible for the top gift, you need to be paying over £30 a month premiums.
As with most offers we have investigated you’re not able to claim the gift until you have paid in 3 consecutive months premiums (and obviously not cancelled).
Can you see a reoccurring theme developing?
Key points with the £75 Churchill offers:
- Following the purchase of your policy, you’ll receive an email or letter confirming how to redeem your gift card
- Allow 30 days for delivery of this communication
- All gifts must be chosen within 90 days of the ‘How to claim‘ communication being sent
- 1 gift card per policy sold and limited to 2 per household (within 12 month period)
- No cash alternative offered.
£30 M&S Gift Card or 3 months cashback
We thought it was worth including the OneFamily free gift offer in our review again because it’s a bit different.
Although the £30 free M&S Gift Card is pretty underwhelming, you do have the option of requesting 3 months cashback on your premiums. The only cash back option we identified directly from the insurer.
Although the £30 voucher is bettered by the majority of over 50s life insurance free gifts, OneFamily does issue the gift faster. ‘Usually‘ within 28 days of receiving your 1st premium.
If you choose the cash back option from OneFamily, they’ll return 3 months premiums back to you, but only after they have received 6 months’ premiums.
So, as with all these free gifts, the insurer makes sure you’re committed to the policy and that they have covered their costs, before issuing.
Key points with the OneFamily offers:
- They ‘usually‘ send you the welcome gift within 28 days of receiving your 1st premium
- They reserve the right to wait until they’ve received premiums worth at least as much as your gift
- If you die when you’ve already paid six months premiums, but they haven’t yet sent you the cash back, they’ll pay it to your estate.
£50 Love2Shop Voucher
On the face of it, a £50 Love2Shop voucher is not that exciting as a free welcome gift. However, what we liked about this offer was that policyholders don’t have to pay a certain premium in order to get the full £50 voucher.
Unlike other insurers, whether you pay £10 a month or £50 a month you’re still entitled to the gift after 6 months of paying your premiums.
As mentioned above a Love2Shop voucher actually provides a lot of flexibility, as over 150 well-known brands accept them. Including HMV, Mothercare, House of Fraser and Thomas Cook.
Key points with the Shepherds Friendly over 50s offer:
- If you cancel your over 50s life insurance or stop paying your premiums before you pay your 6th premium, you will not receive a voucher code
- You’ll only receive a voucher code if you leave a valid email address
- Instructions on how to use your voucher code will be sent to you in your email when you receive the code
- No cash alternative offered.
The most important thing is securing the RIGHT cover
So there we have it, the best life insurance and over 50s plans with free gifts as we see it in 2018.
It could be that a free gift is enough of an incentive for you to take out that policy – especially if you’ve shopped around and all the rates are very similar.
However, we believe the single most important thing is securing suitable life insurance that meets your specific needs, over the entire policy term.
A free gift is obviously an incentive for you to take out a policy. But, in the long-term, it’s much more important (and cost-effective) to make sure you secure the right policy, from the right insurer, at the right price.
At Reassured we use the information you provide to search the market on your behalf, at no cost to you, identifying the very best policies. Then we offer you the choice!
We’re a customer-focused brokerage, here to explain any industry jargon and help you understand the policy, the terms and the application process.
Please note, if you purchase life insurance through a broker, like Reassured, generally you’ll not be entitled to the gift.
 https://www.legalandgeneral.com/life-cover/ + https://www.legalandgeneral.com/life-cover/life-insurance/marks-and-spencers/
 https://www.zurich.co.uk/life-insurance + https://www.zurich.co.uk/life-insurance/voucher-offer
 https://www.vitality.co.uk/rewards/partners/active-rewards/apple-watch/ + https://www.vitality.co.uk/rewards/partners/active-rewards/apple-watch/apple-watch-terms/
 https://www.topcashback.co.uk/ + https://www.topcashback.co.uk/beagle-street-life-insurance/
 https://www.sunlife.co.uk/life-cover/over-50-life-insurance/ + https://www.sunlife.co.uk/life-cover/over-50-life-insurance/welcome-gift/
 https://www.onefamily.com/insurance/over-50s-life-cover-plus/ + https://www.onefamily.com/gift-terms-and-conditions/over-50s-gift-terms-and-conditions/
 https://www.shepherdsfriendly.co.uk/plans/insurance/over-50-life-insurance/why-us + https://www.shepherdsfriendly.co.uk/l2s-terms-and-conditions/