Every job involves a degree of risk. However, when it comes to life insurance, there are certain occupations which place you in the ‘high risk’ (or impaired) category.
Being classified as high risk generally increases the cost of your monthly premium. In rare instances, it could mean an insurer declines your application altogether.
Remember, life insurance pays out when you die, so if the job you do means you are at greater risk of death, it makes sense that you pay more for cover.
It does not mean you cannot find affordable life cover
Every insurer will assess your application against their own specific underwriting criteria, which instructs them on how to price your insurance quote.
Different insurers will employ different underwriting criteria and therefore policy quotes can vary.
In order to secure the right cover, at the best price, it is important to compare multiple quotes. We can do this on your behalf, at no cost, saving you precious time.
We have many years experience and a proud record of finding policies for people who have been refused elsewhere.
Have you been over quoted for your life cover in the past? Talk to one of our friendly consultants today on 0808 168 2025 and challenge us to find you a better deal.
Which occupations are deemed high risk by insurers?
It is important to understand that occupations classed as high-risk, can vary depending on the insurer. Which is why it is important to either shop around yourself or use a broker to compare multiple quotes.
As a general rule, insurers deem you a higher risk if you:
- Regularly work at height (12 metres+)
- Work in a job where your car mileage is very high
- Work in a hazardous environment, i.e. building site
- Work underwater or underground
- Work with explosives, pyrotechnics or dangerous chemicals
- Operate heavy machinery
- Often undertake heavy lifting.
Example occupations include:
- Offshore oil or gas worker
- Airline pilot
- Motorbike courier
- Professional sportsperson
- Rally driver or race driver
- Bus, lorry, HGV or coach driver
- Fisherman or trawler
- Prison officer
- Taxi driver.
What effect does this have on your life insurance?
Every insurance application is considered on a case by case basis. In a worst-case scenario, your insurer may decline your application.
In most cases, it simply means there will be a little more added on to your premium to compensate for the fact you are high risk.
We are here to help you secure affordable life insurance, even if you are in a high-risk job. Why not challenge us to help you find the most affordable cover today?
Reasons to use Reassured for your life insurance:
- We have many years of experience working with major insurers and smaller specialists
- We understand the different criteria employed by insurers
- We will scan the market on your behalf, identifying the most competitive quotes
- We will save you time and could save you money too
- 13,500+ people cannot be wrong! We have an average Trustpilot rating of 9.6/10
- We are independent, impartial and never charge you a fee
- There is no obligation to take out the cover we find
- We are non-advised – meaning we just listen to your budget & needs, before finding you the best policies.
Talk to our Reassured consultants on 0808 168 2025 to ensure you are getting the most competitive quotes possible – regardless of your job. Alternatively Start Your Quote online today – it only takes 2 minutes.